Tuesday, May 03, 2005

It's about that time, isn't it?

The following is due by midnight (I'm assuming, he only said Tuesday)


2. As for instance Scott Sherman (2004) points out, Americans hold many different views on the role of American power and the new wars including the Iraq war. Such perspectives include neorealism, neoconservatism, conservatism, neoliberalism, liberalism (including hawks and critics) and neo-Marxism. Discuss which of these views you regard as most important (regardless of whether you agree or disagree with them).

3. A major discussion concerns whether the wars of the GW Bush administration represent American imperialism. Some argue that the U.S. has been imperial all along; some argue that it has been intermittently imperial; some think that globalization means a turn away from imperialism but that the present administration breaks with this trend. Some view post-9/11 politics as contingent and driven by circumstances. Yet others view it in light of a fundamental clash with Islam. Discuss your position.

5. The United States spends approximately 40% of global military spending. With a large military industrial complex, the professional military and intelligence establishment plays a large role in American politics, and also in society and culture. What in your view is the role of security professionals in implementing and shaping American foreign policies? Are there significant gaps or frictions between the views of policy makers and security professionals?



6 questions I narrowed down to these three. Now I have to choose two and write 4-6 responses to each. I've done all the readings and I already have opinions on which to base to my theses, but still. I hope I can pull this off.

They are very interesting topics -- I have just been feeling so braindead lately -- incapible of original thoughts and feelings.

I'm so mentally drained.

I've been procrastinating all night. Lordy Lordy.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Bless you Anhalt. I can't imagine framing responses to those questions but I'm sure you did fine. In fact, I hope you'll consider sharing some. So many people are wondering about all this imperialism, neoconservatism, etc, etc. I think as a nation, we have lost our identity. The merits of which is debatable. For whatever it's worth bless you for taking the time to make some sense out of it. I remember those "all-nighters" too well, or do I? ...dull flourescent light of the computer lab, snack machines, power naps...